Are you searching for more affordable insurance rates in Union City, GA? Locating discount quotes might seem somewhat difficult for drivers who are new to comparing and buying insurance on the internet. With more and more insurers available, how are we expected to have the ability to compare every company in order to find cheaper insurance prices?
Unbelievable but true according to a study most insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average insurance premium being $1,700, Union City drivers could cut their rates by nearly 60% a year by just comparing quotes, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to compare rate quotes.
If you have car insurance now, you will be able to get lower rates using the following tips. The purpose of this post is to teach you a little about how to get online quotes. But Georgia consumers do need to learn how the larger insurance companies calculate your car insurance rates and use this information to your advantage.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates
Car insurance companies don't always advertise every discount they offer in a way that's easy to find, so we break down some of the best known as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Military Rewards - Being deployed in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Homeowners Savings - Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because it is proof of financial responsibility.
- Low Mileage - Keeping the miles down may enable drivers to earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Multiple Policy Discount - When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car instead of a used car can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Student in College - Any of your kids who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up could cut 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers that enable their insurance company to scrutinize driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates if they show good driving skills.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn't make money that way. But all discounts will definitely reduce the cost of your policy.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including multiple autos, good driver, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, good student, and passive restraint.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for safety features, preferred payment discount, good student, exclusive group savings, new graduate, and multi-car.
- American Family may offer discounts for air bags, Steer into Savings, early bird, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, good driver, and bundled insurance.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, and online quote discount.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for electronic funds transfer, early shopping, bundle discounts, good student, alternative fuel, business and professional, and distant student.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for good student, mature driver, group or association, multiple vehicles, anti-lock brakes, and air bags.
- SAFECO offers discounts including drive less, bundle discounts, homeowner, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, and teen safety rewards.
Check with every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not apply in Union City. To find auto insurance companies with discount rates in Union City, click here.
When price shopping your coverage, making a lot of price comparisons helps improve the odds of finding the best rates. Some smaller insurers do not give price estimates online, so you should also compare quotes from them as well.
The providers in the list below offer free rate quotes in Georgia. If multiple providers are shown, it's highly recommended you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$860||$430||$72|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,534||$767||$128|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,266||$633||$106|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$1,290||$645||$108|
|Ford Edge SE AWD||$1,166||$583||$97|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Ford F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$964||$482||$80|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,724||$862||$144|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Honda Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$944||$472||$79|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L||$1,318||$659||$110|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,160||$580||$97|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,576||$788||$131|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,294||$647||$108|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Georgia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Table data does not factor in vehicle location which can revise price quotes noticeably.
Annual premiums for males versus females in Union City
The diagram below illustrates the difference between insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Union City. The data is based on no accidents or driving violations, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied on a Ford Escape XLS.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Liability-only rates compared to full coverage
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Camry premium costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The data assumes no violations or accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no definitive guideline of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Toyota Camry replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premium cost is more than $700 a year for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Get cheaper prices by understanding these factors
Many factors are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are more obscure such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are just a few of the factors companies use to determine your premiums.
- Raise comp and collision deductibles and save - The deductibles you choose represent how much money the insured will be required to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be rearending another vehicle, collision with a deer, and having a roll-over accident. The larger the amount the insured is willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Youthful drivers cost more - Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and are generally more financially stable.Inexperience drivers have been known to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle so car insurance rates are higher.
- Bad drivers pay high rates - Having a single moving violation can increase rates to the point where it's not affordable. Drivers who don't get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices compared to bad drivers. People who have severe citations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive.
- City traffic equals higher rates - Having an address in areas with lower population has definite advantages when buying car insurance. Fewer drivers on the road means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers have to deal with more auto accidents and a longer drive to work. More time commuting translates into higher accident risk.
- Always have car insurance - Driving without insurance is a big no-no and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse for non-payment. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the Georgia DMV.
- Defend yourself with liability protection - Your car insurance policy's liability coverage will afford coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for an accident. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Auto insurance can be complex
When quoting and choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really isn't a one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions might point out whether you may require specific advice.
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- What policy terms are available?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Car insurance is available from local agents
A small number of people just want to go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision The best thing about comparing car insurance online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance quotes and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Union City who can give free rate quotes for your car insurance coverage. You don't have to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered to you. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Finding a good company requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Union City?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
Union City car insurance agents come in two flavors
When researching a reliable insurance agency, it's important to understand the different agency structures and how they work. Insurance agencies in Union City can either be independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only place business with one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the prominent brand name and strong financial ratings.
These type of agents do not have single company limitations so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, we highly recommend that you include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many independent agencies also insure through mutual insurance companies which may provide better rates.
Once you have received good answers to your questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Georgia these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in Georgia overpays as much as $750 every year so it's recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Persistence pays off
Low-cost insurance in Union City is available both online as well as from independent agents in Union City, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers don't offer online rate quotes and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
While you're price shopping online, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim they didn't have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
We just showed you some good ideas how you can compare insurance rates in Union City. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting cheap Union City auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
For more information, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Camry in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Teenagers in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Atlanta, Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Low Credit Scores in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Uber Drivers in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Georgia Auto Insurance Rates for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Elantra in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Determing Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)