Want to save money and find lower-priced auto insurance rates in Calhoun, GA? Trying to find low-cost insurance for your car in Georgia can be an all-consuming task, but you can learn our auto insurance buying tips to find lower rates.
There are more efficient ways to compare auto insurance rates and you need to know the best way to compare rates for your and find the lowest possible price from both online companies and Calhoun agents.
You should take the time to take a look at other company's rates at least once a year because auto insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you had the best deal on auto insurance a couple years back you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because it's time to teach you one of the best ways to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Finding more affordable auto insurance quotes is actually easier than you may think. All you need to do is take the time comparing rate quotes from some recommended companies.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Calhoun, GA. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$996||$498||$83|
|Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD||$982||$491||$82|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,300||$650||$108|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,762||$881||$147|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,218||$609||$102|
|Ford Edge Sport AWD||$1,416||$708||$118|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$1,256||$628||$105|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$1,300||$650||$108|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Ford Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,034||$517||$86|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,362||$681||$114|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,574||$787||$131|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,254||$627||$105|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$1,472||$736||$123|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,240||$620||$103|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,266||$633||$106|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Georgia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Rate information does not factor in specific Calhoun garaging location which can increase or decrease premiums considerably.
Tickets and at-fault accidents raise rates
The diagram below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims can affect Kia Optima yearly insurance costs for each different age category. The data is based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Nissan Altima insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The information is based on no accidents or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, married female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no set guideline for eliminating full coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's say your Nissan Altima book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $4,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $400 a year for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where only buying liability is not recommended. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Car insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it can be expensive, car insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In Georgia these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your car insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your vehicle definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper prices by understanding these factors
Many different elements are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but other factors are more obscure such as your marital status or how safe your car is. Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that are used to determine your premiums. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that may reward you with lower rates.
Annual miles is a factor - The more you drive your car in a year the more you'll pay to insure it. A lot of companies calculate prices determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles receive better premium rates than those that get driven frequently. It's a smart idea to ensure your insurance policy shows the right rating data.
Prevent coverage lapses - Driving any period of time without insurance is against the law and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance coverage expire. In addition to paying higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could result in a license revocation or jail time. You may then have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Georgia motor vehicle department.
Improve your credit score - An insured's credit score can be an important factor in determining what you pay for insurance. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by improving your rating. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible than those with lower ratings.
Policy add-ons can waste money - There are quite a few additional extra coverages that can add up if you aren't careful. Insurance for things like coverage for rental cars, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but if they're wasting money think about removing them and cutting costs.
More performance means more cost - The make and model of the car you need insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars usually are quite affordable to insure, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Your vocation may affect premiums - Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupational choices like military generals, airline pilots, and miners generally pay higher rates than average in part from intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, occupations like professors, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
Calhoun insurance discounts
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but companies offer discounts to help offset the cost. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but some must be asked for before they will apply.
- Driver Education Discount - Have your child successfully take a driver's education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Successfully completing a defensive driving course could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Good Grades Discount - Being a good student may save you up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Drivers that enable companies to track where and when they drive through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Anti-theft System - Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and will qualify for a discount on a Calhoun auto insurance quote.
- Paperless Signup - A few larger online companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on their website.
As a sidenote, some credits don't apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So when the math indicates you could get a free insurance policy, you won't be that lucky.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- Progressive has savings for good student, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, air bag, vehicle fuel type, bundle, anti-theft, driver training, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for anti-theft, type of vehicle, professional/association, accident-free, annual mileage, location of vehicle, and low natural disaster claims.
- GEICO may include discounts for emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA discounts include good driver, multi-policy, multi-car, good student, education and occupation, and anti-theft.
- State Farm includes discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, anti-theft, multiple autos, good student, passive restraint, and student away at school.
Before you buy a policy, ask every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in Calhoun. To see a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Georgia, click here.
Which is the best car insurance?
When selecting insurance from an agent or online, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Am I covered by my spouse's policy after a separation?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my vehicle?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
If you're not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, free and may give you better protection.
Insurance agents are trained to help
Many people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is OK! Agents are highly skilled in risk management and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheaper car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Calhoun.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to agents in your area that can provide free Calhoun auto insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Calhoun car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a reliable insurance agency, you should know the different types of agents and how they work. Agents in Calhoun can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both types of agents can do a good job, but it's worth learning the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact which type of agent you select.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and find you the best rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to find a new agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, you will definitely want to compare prices from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. A lot of them also have access to mutual insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to compare other company's rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often use the same agent partially due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Choosing the best car insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- What company do they have the most business with?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- How are claims handled?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Will they give you a referral list?
After getting positive feedback to these questions and a good coverage price, you may have found an insurance agent that is professional and can service your policy. Just be aware that you have the power to terminate coverage when you choose so don't assume you are locked into any specific agency indefinitely.
Car insurance savings summarized
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped full coverage only to regret at claim time they didn't purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Affordable car insurance in Calhoun is attainable from both online companies and with local Calhoun insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies don't offer rate quotes online and usually these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agents.
To learn more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Georgia Car Insurance for a Honda Pilot? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for a Dodge Ram in Georgia? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Marietta, Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Georgia Car Insurance for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Seniors in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Low Credit Scores in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Georgia Car Insurance for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for State Employees in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)