Buying the lowest cost quotes can seem to be intimidating for consumers new to buying insurance on the web. With so many insurance agents and online companies available, how are consumers able to even start to compare the different rates to find the best pricing?
Unbelievable but true, almost 70% of insureds in Georgia have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never compared quotes from other companies. U.S. drivers can save about 47% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most undervalue the large savings they would see if they replace their high priced policy.
Consumers need to shop coverage around every six months because rates are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the lowest premium rates on car insurance six months ago you will most likely find a better price today. Don't believe everything you read about car insurance on the internet, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn a lot of great tips on how to reduce your car insurance bill.
Car insurance companies in Albany
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Albany, GA. If multiple companies are shown, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$1,242||$621||$104|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,114||$557||$93|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$1,210||$605||$101|
|Ford Edge Sport AWD||$1,266||$633||$106|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$914||$457||$76|
|Ford Explorer Limited 2WD||$1,428||$714||$119|
|Ford F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$1,732||$866||$144|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,320||$660||$110|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,218||$609||$102|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,586||$793||$132|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,492||$746||$124|
|Toyota Camry LE||$934||$467||$78|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,468||$734||$122|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$1,594||$797||$133|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Georgia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can change premiums considerably.
The diagram below highlights how deductible selection and can affect Hyundai Sonata insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The costs are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Where to set your deductibles
When shopping for car insurance, a common question is how high should the physical damage coverage deductibles be. The figures shown below show the difference in cost when you buy lower versus higher physical damage deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $100 physical damage coverage deductible and the second price table uses a $500 deductible.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Georgia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in specific zip code location which can affect coverage rates greatly.
Based on this data, using a $100 deductible costs roughly $28 more each month or $336 every year than selecting the higher $500 deductible. Since you would pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally go more than 14 months between claim filings, you would come out ahead if you elect the higher deductible. Here is a better example of how you can do this calculation yourself.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$135|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||- $107|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$28|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 - $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $28|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||14 months|
An important sidenote is that raising deductibles to save money results in having to pay to pay more out-of-pocket when you have a physical damage claim. You should have some available funds in order to pay the deductible to have repairs made.
How your Albany premiums are determined
Many different elements are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating. One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with cheaper rates.
- Save money by having excellent credit - Your credit score factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. So if your credit can be improved, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by repairing your credit. Drivers with good credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with poor credit.
- Your car's features help determine prices - Driving a car with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent auto theft.
- Younger vs. mature drivers - Teenage drivers in Georgia have been known to be careless and easily distracted when driving with friends therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Adding a youthful driver to your car insurance policy can really hurt. Mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
- More stress means more cost - Occupations such as judges, architects and emergency personnel are shown to have higher rates than the rest of us in part from high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations like farmers, engineers and performers have the lowest average rates.
Score discounts to get cheaper Albany insurance rates
Car insurance companies do not advertise all discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the list below contains a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Accident Forgiveness - Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like Allstate and GEICO permit an accident before raising your premiums so long as you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- No Claim Discounts - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less as opposed to policyholders that have many claims.
- Cautious Driver Discount - Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper Albany car insurance.
- Club Memberships - Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups is a good way to get lower rates on your next insurance statement.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving less could qualify for discounted insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver's ed class as it can save substantially.
- Good Student Discount - Performing well in school may save as much as 25% on a Albany car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
It's important to understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though the math looks like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn't work that way.
A list of companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may include discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple policy, safe vehicle, passive restraint, and anti-theft.
- American Family has discounts for good student, air bags, bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, good driver, Steer into Savings, and TimeAway discount.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, air bags, and membership and employees.
- 21st Century has savings for good student, theft prevention, teen driver, student driver, early bird, defensive driver, and 55 and older.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online signing, and homeowner.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Georgia, follow this link.
Auto insurance advertisements
Big name companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO regularly use ads on TV and radio. They all seem to tend to make the same promise of big savings just by moving your policy. It sounds good, but how can they all have lower policy pricing? It's all in the words they use.
Most companies quote their best rates for the type of driver that will not have excessive claims. A good example of a desirable risk should be between the ages of 30 and 45, has never had a claim, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Someone that hits that "sweet spot" may get the lowest premium rates in Albany and will also save if they switch.
Consumers who fall outside the requirements will be charged higher premium rates with the end result being the customer not purchasing. If you pay attention, the ads say "drivers who switch" but not "all drivers who get quotes" save money. That's why insurance companies can confidently claim big savings.
This really emphasizes why you really need to get Albany car insurance quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to guess which auto insurance company will provide the lowest auto insurance in Albany.
One last note
When shopping online for insurance, don't be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance providers may not have online quoting and usually these small, regional companies only sell coverage through local independent agents. Cheap insurance in Albany is possible from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis.
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like questionable increases in premium, poor customer service, being labeled a high risk driver and high prices. It doesn't matter what your reason, switching insurance companies can be pretty painless.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Good Drivers in Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Georgia Car Insurance Quotes for Teachers? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Atlanta, Georgia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Georgia Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)